Tuesday, June 06, 2006
The Reading List to go with An Inconvenient Truth
This is a menu of books on global warming and its twin peril, peak oil (which is likely to drive us to a deadly embrace of coal.)
I made this list today because I am arranging with Schuler Books (a small Mid-Michigan-owned chain of bookstores) to offer a book sales table at the benefit showing of the new movie "An Inconvenient Truth" on Thursday, June 29, in Lansing at the Celebration Cinema (with Schuler Books donating 20% of the proceeds from books sold to the benefit).
I haven't read #1 yet. I am reading #2, "Big Coal" now, and it's terrific. And I can recommend #3-#11 without hesitation. All of these (except possibly #11) are available at your local bookstore, or through www.schulerbooks.com, or at the benefit in Lansing on June 29!
1) An Inconvenient Truth, Al Gore
2) Big coal : the dirty secret behind America's Energy Future, Jeff Goodell
3) Boiling Point: How Politicians, Big Oil and Coal, Journalists, and Activists Are Fueling the Climate Crisis-and What We Can Do to Avert Disaster, Ross Gelbspan.
4) The Weather Makers, Tim Flannery
5) Out of Gas, David Goodstein
6) Field Notes from a Catastrophe, Elizabeth Colbert
7) The Party's Over, Richard Heinberg
8) Winds of Change, Eugene Linden
9) The Long Emergency, James Howard Kunstler
10) Powerdown, Richard Heinberg
11) The End of Fossil Energy and the Last Chance for Survival (3d ed. Just released), John Howe, McIntire Publishing Co.